Welcome!

Thank you all for sharing in the lives of our three amazing children- Mairead, Jack, and Ben. We hope you visit often!


Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wednesday Update

When Mairead was in the NICU, we did not take any pictures- I felt that I did not want to remember those moments. But now that she is older, I wish that I had taken pictures for two reasons. 1- there are no pictures of the first week of her life. I have the first day, and then about Day 10. I feel like I missed something. 2- She has come so far since those first few days, and she is truly a miracle. I think that looking at pictures might help her to see just how much she overcame and how amazing she is. So, I did take a few of the boys for those same reasons.

This is Ben in his sunbathing pose under the bili lights-- the lights are now off and he will be out of the incubator soon.



Jack is the tiniest baby I have ever held (now all the way back up to 4lbs 9oz), and he is just about the cutest, too (with his brother right there, too! After all, they ARE identical).


I am taking a break from the hospital right now so I have a few minutes to update you on the boys' progress. Thanks to all of you who have been so supportive- it is a really tough time for us, but we are getting through it.

First, our eldest son--Jack is a superstar! The doctor told me that they had no idea he would do this well. He is eating way about his minimums and is now just above his birth weight. All newborns lose weight, of course, but losing too much is dangerous no matter how big the baby is. Losing too much when you are only 4 and a half pounds is very scary! But, he is doing SO well. He is in a regular crib now and his feeding tube has come out. We are so proud of our little guy!

Ben is doing great, too. His color is great and he is making strides very day. He is not eating as well as Jack, and he is not quite at his birthweight yet, but he is much better than he was and he looks awesome. His jaundice is gone and by tonight, he will be back in a regular crib, too. He still needs the feeding tube because he gets pretty sleepy while he is eating. He just likes to be comfy and fall asleep whenever someone is holding him, and this is not conducive to getting a lot of food into him.

The great thing about them getting over their jaundice is that we can hold them more often and for longer periods. This morning, I got to hold both of them together for a long time-- it was awesome. Dave will be able to do this at the 5pm feeding, and he is really looking forward to that.

The only negative is that it is pretty much guaranteed that Jack will be coming home before Ben. This happens a lot with twins, but it breaks my heart to think of them being separated. Jack should come home after a few more days, but we don't really have an ETA for Ben because he needs to eat better than he is. I can't wait until they are home together and we can really start our life as a family of five.

Our poor daughter, in the meantime, has her very first ear infection. I know, it was only a matter of time, but the timing is just awful. I feel so bad that I can't be with her all the time, and when I am with her, I can't pick her up or hold her. My mom has been awesome about taking care of her, and tonight Mairead will have a sleepover at Nana's. She is starting antibiotics, so I hope they help her to feel better soon. So tonight, Dave and I will be alone in the house, despite the fact that we have three young children. It's very strange- - we want our house to be filled with kids soon!

1 comment:

Joseph "Connor" said...

Your boys are little miracles, just like their sister! What great news! We are looking forward to the blog post telling us you're all at home- it'll happen soon!! You guys are always in our thoughts. We love you muchly!! Give those superstars a kiss from us!